Visiting the High School and Memories

It finally feels like spring for a minute although I know we might still get some more snow. We take advantage of the weather and walk the students a handful of blocks up Illinois to the high school. When we arrive, we have a few minutes to wait outside until they are ready for us to head in and watch the high school drama team performance of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.

Former students walk by to say, “hi”, including some Seniors who were 5th graders when I first came to Crest. It is a reminder of the community and connects we make with our students. When I see them, memories flood of all the experiences we had together from floating down Ruby Horse Thief when I was pregnant to building catapults to sharing our writing.

Once seated in the auditorium, Scarlett steps out on stage in her red skirt suit and strappy high heels.  What a perfect role for her to be singing and acting about words and language! Another alumni from a different time in Crest’s history when memories were made of a Lost Wonder Hut trip and watching a performance in Denver.

Now I sit between a current 5th grader and a 6th grader making new memories of the time we went to the high school to see the drama performance.